Monday, February 25, 2008

Brea 8k


A few months back my friend Erin and I casually said it would be fun to run in the Brea 8k. It would be fun, if I had run at all in the past 6 months;) It is a really fun race because afterwards all of the brea restaurants come out and there is a huge tent with food sampling (even melting pot) Is it ironic that the food was what made me excited about the race?? So needless to say, we signed up and I never got around to running. (it doesn't help my running partner lives in Africa) The night before the race it poured rain. Well Erin had been running, so she wanted to run. We decided to run rain or shine. It was definitely rain:) We ended up having a great time. Katie and I had run this race the last 2 years and I didn't realize it was going to make me miss her so much, but it did.  The first year Katie and I ran we decided to start in the very front, not realizing until it was too late that those were the winners of the race. We didn't want to give ourselves up so we actually sprinted with them in the beginning. That lasted for a good 2 MAYBE 3 minutes and I was toast the rest of the race. Last year competitive Katie could not handle when someone older than us would pass us. There was a lady ahead of us that Katie was determined not to let finish ahead of us, we sprinted at the end to beat her.  This year as that same lady passed Erin and I at mile 3, it made me miss my sister. Erin and I found ourselves sprinting at the end to beat the guy we had said we would not let beat us. I have to be honest it was a little discouraging to look online and see the man we beat by one measly second was 73 years old!!! Katie come home soon, your running partner is struggling!!

1 comment:

Katie said...

And remember the snapping runner? He annoyed the crap out of me. I admit that just looking at the picture made me sad- that's exactly where we took ours. Next year- and we'll be totally in shape so no 73 year olds will come anywhere near us. Question: did the band still play in the rain? Funny how a high school marching band could pump someone up so much during the run but they really do. I love Gizmo but I sure miss my running partner- convsations aren't quite the same when running with a dog and stray dogs never chased me when I ran with you. Plus, you only have to stop and poop every once in awhile, not every run like Gizmo. Honestly though, I really miss you and miss our running conversations. I'll never forget how I was crying so hard in Colorado as I was running by myself because I was going to miss you so much...and then I turned the corner on the mountain and saw a pack of boyscouts staring at me, very concerned. Awesome.