Sunday, October 11, 2009

Potty Training


I have been in no rush to potty train Vander. I have had numerous friends and both of my sister in laws say that boys are usually later than girls and the biggest thing is to do it when they are ready. We bought a potty chair a few months ago, but he was not interested in using it, besides as a stool to stand on when the lid was closed. The other morning I was in the bathroom getting ready for work and he walked in and asked for one of his suckers that my mom had gotten him from disneyland. I didn't even realize they were on the counter. My response was " oh van those are for when you start going poop in the potty" That was the end of it. He didn't put up a fight, I kept getting ready, he went about playing. 10 minutes later I heard some commotion coming from his room. I went to tell him to play in the living room because Hudson was asleep right next door. I walked to his room and he wasn't there? He was in the bathroom standing above his potty and there was a HUGE poop in the soccerball shaped potty. He looks at me with a smile on his face and says " can i have that sucker now?" WOW I love that kid and his determination. Dan worked with him the rest of the day and he was done with diapers. The next day we were leaving to go watch the APU scrimmage and I was getting him dressed, about to put his diaper on because we were going to be gone for a few hours. He said oh no mom I wear undies. So we put on his buzz lightyear tighty whities and we were off. He went twice at the gym and my parents took him after to shop for pumpkins for carving and he went at their house. While he was with my parents yesterday they bought him a guitar that he had been really wanting but told him he can have it when he goes poop again in the big potty. He woke up this morning and after eating breakfast he said " I have to go mom" we ran to the bathroom and he went on the big toilet with a little seat I had bought. He sat down, pushed.... nothing. We sat there for a few and then I asked if he wanted to go play for a bit and then come back. He said no he wanted to stay there. Sure enough 2 minutes later he said"gotta go" hoped up on the big potty and did a nasty poop that I was so thankful I could flush instead of clean out of the little potty. We called Grandma and Bumpa and he asked if he could have the guitar now. Bumpa brought it over before church and he was SO excited to get it. I am so proud of my little man!!

2 comments:

Lindz said...

Yay for potty training...can't believe how easy he did it!! Life is the greatest when you have one less in diapers!! Now you need to work on Hudson and you will be all set!! =) JK!!

The Hamlin Family said...

Good job on Potty Training...That's always fun!!! I'm glad your back to blogging. The High/Low post was fun to read. You have an adorable family...and it seems like you are always having fun!!!

PS...I try so hard to stay updated on my blog. I am turning it into our family journal...and even though life is crazy at times...I have to remind myself that it will be great to look back and read about all that's been going on!!!